Saipan Hawleys

Thursday, September 07, 2006

'My' LauLau Run

I have been running this route for over 5 years now, and every time I run it -rain or shine- I tell myself how very lucky I am to have this less than 5 min.s outside my door. And for about the same amount of time, I have been telling myself to carry my camera along to capture this amazing run...well this week I finally did it! It was about 5:30 in the evening when I took these pics... (it gets dark here about 7:00) so there are some shadows - but that is when it is best for running b/c of the heat!
The run is just short of 6 miles (so not too long) but it is super challenging b/c of the hills (and heat). You start at the top of a fairly long hill which eventually leads you down to sea level where you run alongside the beaches of LauLau Bay. The last one you pass is known as 'The Dive Beach' b/c it offers a great shore dive. Just after The Dive Beach, the dirt road begins a steep and long uphill...the only relief comes when you get to the top the road 'flatens' out for another 1/4 mile. Then it is turn around and conquer the big hills again(and all the minor ones inbetween). There is virtually no traffic - except for the occasional Dive Truck and the few people who go to the beaches to BBQ, snorkel or fish.
There are many inviting runs like this on Saipan...but this one just happens to be closest to my house and no 'boonie' dogs. Nate runs and bikes a ton of other beautiful routes - maybe I can get him to take some photos to share!?! Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

Hey Krista - you forgot to mention the dog at the top of the hill!!
Rudie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home